Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Another New Years Eve....

What Shakin Bacon my dear 4 1/2? Here we are at the end of another new year.  It went by so quickly and I'm sure we all had the good with the bad, but then I think that's what they call life.  Again to quote my fav John Lennon "Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans". This year my goal is to quit planning life and take it as it comes, lord, did I just make a new years resolution??? Well, that was an accident cause I don't make promises I can't keep!  Ok, so I've decided there is something wrong with me, much more than the obvious!  I despise New Years Eve.  Yes, there I've said it.  The night where everyone is making merry I just want to stay home and watch an old movie.  It didn't help a whole lot when I had to bury my Mom on New Years Eve, but then I figure she didn't have a whole lot of choice in the matter and neither did I!  When it comes to New Years Eve I am a "glass half empty" girl.  I tend to look back at all the hard stuff instead of ahead to what can be.  My sainted Danny always looks ahead with his glass half full!  What a wonderfuly way to be!  He loves the social interaction and the hoopla.  We usually spend it with dear friends John, Suzanne and their son Johnny Jay.  I have to admit I never make it to midnight and I want to be in the privacy of my own home.  I totally don't get all the fuss about one night.  I guess it's just a way of marking a milestone.  The images of Time Square on New Years Eve just make me nervous.  I've had some good New Years Eve, most of them involve Danny.  I still remember as a child my parents having New Years Eve parties and it never failed, I puked.  Now some of it was nerves but some of it was the fact that I was allergic to the damn Christmas tree and we didn't find that out until I was about 5.  It's hard to have fond memories of puking. I didn't even have the benefit of tying one on!  I did have one drunken New Years Eve where I woke up in a closet (now this was not one of my prouder moments) all covered with coats and pretty hungover.  I thought I died because I couldn't see anyting!  Thank goodness my friends came looking for me cause I think the coats, and some of them not very fashionable, were smothering me.  I'm lucky I didn't throw up on them even though it might have improved the look and smell of some of them (those darn smokers didn't smell good!)  This was about the time I gave up getting drunk, it was really not that much fun, luckly I was in my early 20's when I figured this out.  I have to admit I did have one other drunken night and that was after a dear friends wedding.  I'm told I did a tango to a polka and proceeded to dip my partner!  I woke up the next morning basically neked on my bed with my head in a purse (what is it about me putting my head in places I can't see) and my panty hose was gone but somehow I still had the ankle bracelet on that was over my panty hose!!! Again, because of the dark I thought I was dead!  Seriously not a proud moment in my young life but funny in it's own twisted way.  Needless to say a glass of wine or a nice gin and tonic is about as far as I go nowdays!  So I think my random thought about New Years Eve is to watch out for the coat closets and big purses!!! So this New Years Eve I'm going to try to have a glass full kinda night and celebrate it to where I feel comfortable, even if it means coming home before midnight (Sorry John and Suzie it had nothing to do with you!) I wish you all a happy and healthy New Year! Be safe. Of course I do have a New Years fun fact, did you know that  foods that are eaten on New Year's Eve are cabbage because the leaves represent prosperity. Ham (or a hog) also symbolizes prosperity. In Asian cultures, rice is a hearty and lucky staple that is eaten around midnight to signify the coming year of fortune,  Well I think we all need to watch out for the cabbage and I still have trouble eating Miss Piggy!  So to quote Mr. Spock(which I've don't before!) Live long and prosper! And for all the Star Wars fans, May the force be with you!  xoxox Pammy  P.S.  I trust you all to share my embarresing drunken stories! 

No comments: