Tuesday, February 15, 2011

"You don't send me flowers....anymore"....Thank you Barbra Streisand and Neil Diamond for my title!

Hello dear 6 1/2. It's been a few weeks since I've checked in because as my sainted little round mama, Lois, in heaven always told me "if you don't have something good to say, don't say it at all". So I haven't had anything to say good bad or indiffrent, so I remained quiet. Hope you all had a Happy Valentine's day! I know I'm a day late in making my little commentary but, better late than never!! So here we go...Let us start out with a little history on St. Valentine and we will also consider this our fun fact for the day! Valentinus was a priest who assisted in marrying couples and aiding people who were Christians from persecution during the reign of Claudius II. Doing what he did was considered a crime in Rome. Boy that Claudius was a creep! Anywhoo...Claudius the weiner head had Valentinus arrested and incarcerated. First off Claudius took a liking to Valentinus and it is said is that he restored the sight of his jailers daughter, thus starts the Saint stuff. Now where poor Valentinus made his big boo boo was trying to convert Claudius II. Now days it would be like the Moonie's trying to get you or Tom Cruise taking you hostage and either marrying you or making you read The Christian Science Monitor. Basically Claudius looked at it like that (well he didn't know Tom Cruise or The Rev. Sung Yun Moon, but you get my jist!). As we continue in our lesson we find out that Claudius the weiner face decided to have Valentinus executed...Katie Holmes...PAY ATTENTION! On the eve of his execution Valentinus penned a letter of farewell to his jailers formerly blind daughter and signed it from "Your Valentine". Now poor Valentine got his bid for martyrdom in the year 270 by Claudius having him clubbed and stoned and when that didn't work he had him beheaded....whewwww...they don't put that on a Hallmark card "Happy Beheading Day". Now that was all a big deep, but I found it interesting to understand this Hallmark holiday. I don't knock expressions of love in anyway shape or form. After all "Love makes the world go round" (oh I love quoting those old songs!). What I do think is that we should show our love for one and other all the time. Showing it in small ways like saying I love you or writing a small note to express this. Danny and I make this effort everyday. We never leave or end a conversation without saying "I love you". We buy each other small gifts as funds allow but the gifts are just a bonus. My random thought is it isn't what you spend on one and other on any holiday. I'm pretty sure that was not St. Valentine's idea for the rememberance of his life and sacrifice. Don't get me wrong, the beautiful flowers people send each other are wonderful and perhaps this is the only time of year they think to do this. Show your affection however you can. Just think about the fact that is not the only day you need to do this. I will add a disclaimer to this...not trying to be rude about Christian Scientist , Tom Cuise or the Hallmark Company. Just using them as examples. So for now let me say Sayanora. Thanks for listening, and Happy Belated Valentines Day!

No comments: