Tuesday, March 22, 2011

To Bra...or not to Bra...that IS the question...

S'up my 6 1/2??? Not all that much on my end, but I do have and experience to share with all of you. Now people that know me personally know that I am a shall we say a Reubenesque built woman. Even after losing 116 lbs. I still have "girls" that are deserving of their own zip code.Now this is not bragging, it's a fact.If I had my way I would be flat as a boy. First let me give you a bit of background on Bra's that you may or may not know. Bra's can be traced back as far as the 16th century coming to fashion during the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644). They were called a "Dudou" and were in vogue amoung rich women. I guess the poor ladies just let them flop in the breeze! From the 16th century up to and through the 19th century corsets were the choice for ladies to keep em in check. Those did not sound fun, even when I look at a bustier I feel like I can't breath, thank you Madonna for helping to make them popular again. Perhaps that's why her singing is only so so...she can't breath! Now here is a fun fact about modern day Bra's. Did you know that Howard Hughes (1905-1976) who was a aviator, movie producer, billionaire and well know hypochondriac invented the underwire, push up bra for Actress Jane Russell (1921-2011) for the movie The Outlaw (1943)? Ms. Russell's sensous performance and her boobies cause a three year halt to this movie, directed by Howard Hughes from being released!! Anywho, enough history and allow me to share my Bra saga from the other day. Picture this...me with my big boobs, my dear Sainted Danny, a lady I went to high school with in a clothes shop dressing room. Now my Sainted Danny is always there for me. Since my little fall this summer I have some torn meniscus in my shoulders and it's aggrivated any arthritis that was in there from dislocating my should and breaking my arm as a child. Yes, I have always been accident prone and yes I am getting old and not ashamed to admit it. So, dear Danny being the bestest husband any old lady could ask for had offered to help me try on Bra's so that he could hook and unhook them for me. Enter my old High School friend Cathy who works in the clothes shop that we are attempting to purchase said undergarment from. It all started with the measuring, which is an ordeal within it's self. Now comes the decsion of what style, color, hooking method, underwire or no underwire, lace or cotton...I could go on (I have to admit the sub-catagories where what almost broke a brave Daniel down!) We now commence to trying on. Of course you have been measured but as any woman of any size know's that usually means jack shit. You just keep trying until you find one that holds em with as little pain and aggravation as possible! Now comes the March of Bra's. We started small as in only a few Bra's in the fitting room. We hook, we look, we unhook over and over again. At this point we now have at least 20 Bra's of different shapes, color and sizes spread around the dressing room. Dan is running back and forth like a crazed hampster to find a new model every 10 min or so. At one point I suggest we stop and in the firmest voice I've ever heard from Daniel he said "WE ARE NOT LEAVING HERE WITH OUT AT LEAST ONE BRA"...he was on a "mission from god". There were Madonna cone Bra's, sport's Bra's, lacy pretty Bra's nothing is working. Enter again Cathy my high school friend. There stand the three of us in a fitting room, me san's bra, my husband with his hair standing on end and Cathy with her tape measure. We measure yet again and start over. At one point as the three of us stand there Cathy tells me to bend forward and shake the "girls" into the Bra. Now most of us have had to do this at one time or another,you just really don't expect to do it in front of an audience unless there are dollar bills involved! EUREKA...we have found a Bra that just may do the trick! It is now 2 hours later and a man that could use a beer. Boob's no longer have any mean as anything other than something you strap down! As we checked out I advised Cathy and Dan I felt like we "shared a moment" and perhaps should go have a smoke! My random thought after that entire ordeal is....ahhh the power of the boob!!! I had a lady fit me at a deparment store once who was of German descent. We will call her The General. As I stand there naked from the waist up trying on a new Bra she throw's open the fitting room door and barks "Vas is Das???" I reply, my boob's. Vell, she say's, zee boobies should be all in zee brassier. I told her that is what I was trying to do but had been interupted by someone throwing open the door. This did not bother her at all. She proceeded to put "the girls" in the the Bra herself. She walked around me, tugged, pushed together, snaped and then prounonced it a "good fit". She then flicked my nipples and walked away. I still don't know what the flicking had to do with the whole ordeal but it seemed important to her! It was the best fitting Bra I ever had! Where was The General when I needed her? I leave you with some of the lovely names we have for Bra's. So creative and descriptive. There is the boobie basket, the over the should boulder holder,the tit sling, the upper decker flopper stopper and in German Der Floppen Schotoppem! I just had to share this little experience with all my 6 1/2 whether they wanted to hear about it or not. Afterwards Daniel and I had a very good laugh and swore it was going to be a lonnnngggg time before we did that again! So there is no great point to what I've written just something to hopefully make us all laugh as now days we all could use a good one and I'm happedn to supply the material. Have a great week all and find something good to laugh at...it keeps us young...that and firm boobies! xoxxox Pammy

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Being built like a teenage boy (3 pregnancies excepted) I have never had this experience and I found it hysterical. I am grateful to walk into a dept. store & say I want a padded Maidenform 32A & walk out without ever opening the box.
Love, maggie
P.S. Your Danny is an exceptionally brave man!