Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving (no catchy title here...just a note of thanks)

Morning dear 4 1/2 and all my other malcontents.  I knew I had a Thanksgiving blog in me just had to wait for the mood to be right and the inspiration to hit me. I've been watching my dear friend Barb Smith's facebook postings in the past few weeks and Barb has everyday listed her many blessings and things to be thankful for. Well Barb, I'm blatantly "borrowing" your idea. Also, this morning as Danny was getting dressed for work at 5 am I was telling him about Thanksgivings from my childhood and he was telling me about holidays in England (usually our conversations in the morning consists of one of us snoring!)  First off...I'm thankful Barb you did that and made me go "mmmmmm".  Where to begin....Where to begin??? I'm not even sure I can do justice to the things and people I am thankful for. I will start off thanking God for letting me have another year of life.  Something we all take for granted. I'm thankful for the love and support of a wonderful man who has stood beside me through thick and thin and as I've said before, he is a saint!  I'm thankful for my family.  I have a wonderful, dear Aunt Marybelle and Uncle Sam who have raised the most kind, giving group of children and grandchildren.  They love and support us everyday unconditionally.  This might surprise you dear reader, but somewhere in my heart I am happy that Donna and Ruth (no I'm not going to use there evil names here because God would not appreciate sarcasm on this wonderful holiday) have had another year of life and have each other.  There will always be a hole in my heart where they were, but don't we all have a hole here and there.  I'm thankful for my Mom, Dad, Grandma and Grandpa.  I know they are all in heaven together with Dan's Mom and Dad.  Even if I don't have their physical presence I have them in my heart and in my head.  I'm thankful for old friends and new.  I'm thankful to facebook for allowing me to connect with some of the lost friends (Tracey, Barb, Shelley, Cassie, Margaret just are a few who come to mind) they enriched my life at one time and yet again I will benefit from their friendship.  Thank you for my new friends that I've met on facebook.  Crystal I'm talkin to you (In my best Robert DeNiro, Taxi Driver impression!) There are others that I might have failed to mention but you are all in my heart. How could I not be thankful for my English family and friends.  Please know on Thursday when I say my Thanksgiving prayer you will all be right there at the fore front.  I must thank God for the new people he's sent me in my life, Noreen and Emalee there you are! I must thank God for my dear sweet David, who next to Danny is a real close second in Sainthood, I say that cause he loves me and I'm not always easy to love (imagine that!).  I remembered past Thanksgivings this morning with my family and I thought about my extended family from my past.  Imparticular my dear, sweet Ruth Johnson was on my heart.  She's the lady my younger sister was named for.  Some of my happiest holidays memories come from the time we spent with Ruth and her boys Butch and Bob (yes Butch I know you will never read this but you will always be my "Seaman Duppy" and the man who when I was 5 I was planning my wedding with, it didn't matter that he was at least 18 years older than me!).  Big ole shout out to Tommy Joe Smart who was the "other man" I was supposed to marry and yet again it didn't matter about our age difference, Evidently I was a tart at the age of 5 and gave my heart to much older men!  Alas, I did not marry either of them....My blessing are too many to mention and I might have missed a friend or family member here or there but it was not on purpose, it just shows you how much I have to be thankful for.  How could I not be thankful for my Judy my Debbie and my Evelyn.  You are all my rocks. There are so many people who have nothing. I cannot go on without thanking all our brave service men and women who are keeping us all safe.  Many of them are not at home to be with their loved ones.  Thank God they are willing to make that sacrifice for all of us.  I am a "rich" women in so many respects.  Sigh....now I'm tired!! I must give you my fun Thanksgiving fact...did you know : Turkeys have heart attacks??? When the Air Force was conducting test runs and breaking the sound barrier, fields of turkeys would drop dead.  Poor Turkey, either the airplanes get them or the butcher does.  So on Thursday when you sit down to dinner with your family and loved ones I think the most important thing we can do is just to give thanks that God has given us another year together.  Of course as I'm writing this I've had a random thought.  What do you think the Pilgrims would think of our Thanksgiving today??? I don't think they could relate to the Underdog Float!!  So...Gobble Gobble all my peeps.  Don't eat too much turkey and pumpkin pie, save room for leftovers on Friday!!!  Love to you all and Mummy and Daddy, I miss you.  Turkey kisses to all of you!!! xoxxo Pammy

No comments: