Thursday, January 13, 2011

Going Viral?

Happy snowy Thursday my dear 6 1/2 and everyone else Hope all your travels were safe! As you can tell from my title we're going to have a little chat about computers and my views and "vast" knowledge on all things Internet. Of course we know that my opinion is the only one that counts. Those who have chosen to follow me opinion's also have equal weight, because we get it damn it! So....here I go! I looked up the term "going viral" on Wiki answers and here is the definition for those who don't know (and I have to admit, I wasn't actually sure how to put it in words!) 
"The term refers to a phenomenon characterized by mass dissemination of an item on the Internet. It is called viral because of the similarity in which actual viruses are spread. Generally one person will show the object in question to his or her contact, who will then in turn show it to their contacts, and so on. This can refer to emails, videos, pictures or anything else that gains popularity rapidly through word of mouth." OK, so I guess we've all gone 'viral".  Now please do not think I'm as pompous to think I'm the only one who has broached this subject, but now I again feel the need to spout off my opinion.  Which, if you basically think about it we all evidently have felt the need to do via Facebooks, blogs, twitter and lord know how else.  So viral does not mean we are all sharing a cold, but then maybe we are???I read people's posts and sometimes I go mmmmm! Why do we have to tell people on our social networks things like ordered pizza, pizza was lousy, threw pizza away?? I'm all for sharing, but really folks who cares about the pizza?  I had entered the world of Twitter and I'm not sure if I get it. Facebook makes sense to me.  You go on, you read how all your friends and family are doing, hopefully the pizza was good today. There are often kind words and words of support for you and maybe something inspirational.  It seems to me very positive.  I'm sure there is negative out there on facebook, but we are all lucky within our little group that everyone is supportive and friendly.  Tweet is a whole other world.  I guess unless your friends are out there "tweeting" with you and at you, it doesn't seem to make sense to me.  There are all these random sentences out there with peoples opinions and comments that I can't seem to make sense of. Please don't think I'm Tweet bashing, cause I'm not, I'm just trying to figure it out.  I think anything that allows us to communicate with each other on a local and global level is good.  I just wish I could follow what is going on.  Maybe I just need to make some "tweet friends".  I've never been that good at making friends face to face let alone computer to computer.  I feel like the new kid on the playground and no one really wants to play with me.  In all honesty I do have three followers and that is very kind of them.  I found and interesting fun fact out about Twitter that I'd like to share.  Now I'm not really sure how up to date this is because of course I got it from the Internet, but data out there about Twitter. It says's there are 106 million Twitter accounts out there and are supported by 175 employees.  Again, I don't know how up to date it is, but is that not interesting?175 people to keep the whole shebang operational. That's pretty impressive. So Twitter people and pizza lovers don't think I'm criticizing because I have also felt the need to share my little mundane everyday things.  I try to keep it positive, but hey who's always positive? All and all I'm glad there are places where we can interact and if you think about it sharing your thoughts on pizza online is no different that sitting with a friend and telling them about the damn pizza!  We just reach more people with our pizza complaints.  I guess my random thought is thank goodness for the Internet in whatever form you chose to use it.  In this big ole world it helps us all to feel no so alone and that other people do share your views and opinions and even a healthy discussion with people who don't!  It's what makes the world go round (that and Love, but hey I'm reaching into my old mind for music lyrics).  So for right now my faithful 6 1/2 thank you for listening.  I'm not all that amusing today, but just had sometime to think one of my "deep" and life changing (cough) thoughts!  So go out there, order a pizza and tell us on Twitter and Facebook what you think of it, cause I want to know!!!! Blowing Marilyn Monroe kisses to all of you!! Smooch Pammy 



Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_it_mean_to_go_viral#ixzz1Avmp3zlr

2 comments:

Pam said...

Update...I am a Twitter failure...I lost a follower....

Pam said...

Yay...I have a new follower!