Saturday, October 30, 2010

Post Traumtic Stress Syndrome???

Hola 3 1/2! So, it's Halloween..I've never been a fan of Halloween to tell you the truth.  I hated it as a child and I tolerate it as an adult. Now many of you who know me might say..."but Pam (you'd say) how is it you hate Halloween but love a good ghost story"?? Well let me bore you with my sad tale of woe as to why I have  no love for Halloween.  Picture this..1963 approx. Tiny little round girl  with blond hair (yes, I was chubby and blond dressed up as Casper the Friendly Ghost (how twisted anyway, a child that's a ghost, that always made me sad!) Anyhoo..there she is in the dark of night, OK it was probably 6 pm, but at 4 years )old it seemed like the dark of night! There...looking down my little street I see a familiar figure, I knew it was familiar because I recognized the walk.  The figure got closer and I got excited and ran to meet my neighbor Carol, who was a dear friend of my Mothers.  I ran to Carol for her to pick me up as she always did and lo and behold when she got me up in her arms I looked at her and she wasn't my Carol but a horrible Hobo....yes dear readers how chilling!!!  I don't know who screamed louder her or I as I was kicking her and screaming to get out of her arms. God knows to this day that memory still makes me ill.  Once she got me to my Mother and they calmed me down and convinced me it was Carol I still was a little trooper and wanted to go out in my little Casper Costume, with the mask with the little slits for eyes that could cut your retina's out...and out I went with my older sister and the horrible Hobo (not my sister) and her children. So...la de da...off we go walking down the hill near my house to go to my Mother's other dear friend, Elsie (god bless her).  Elsie had two boys, Johnny and Danny.  I adored both of them.  Johnny imp articular was a favorite of mine and to this day when he's in town comes and visits us.  He always called me Sam, don't know why, but he did, but I digress.  Anyway, hip hop down the lane (oops, that's Easter) we get to Elsie's house...Trick or Treat we all said and what opened the door was a tall green man (at 4 everyone is taller than you!) who also tried to pick me up (what the fuck was it with people picking me up?)  He was green with ugly black hair and nasty fanged teeth, OK he was green, but maybe I "imagined the teeth and hair".  Anyway, again I kick, scream and cry loudly this time.  Well it shocked the green man as it was my dear Johnny, who was about 10 or 11 years old at this time.  He had painted him self green to celebrate the holiday and no he was not a leprechaun. By now the Hobo and the Green man had had enough of me and to tell you the truth I didn't care if I got candy or not.  Home I went to Mom and Dad to to my safe little bed.  Needless to say the next year I threw up when it was time to go out Trick or Treating, I went out very few times in my young life after that but the one time I did I went as of all things...a Hobo! Looking back it is actually not a horrible story and I might have been a "bit" of a drama queen, OK princess. To this day I try not to go out on Halloween...weird huh, cause I sit home and watch ghost stories!  I had a shrink tell me once that it was because I was afraid of what was under the mask not the mask itself.  I don't like people who I think are hiding something from me..wayyyy too deep.  So on to the ghostie part, I love, nay adore a good ghost story.  I'm not afraid of the ghosties it's the real people that scare me.  I would welcome a visit from my dear Mom or Dad or Grandma or Grandpa coming back to say hello.  I know they would just be checking on me.  So folks, if you're out there listening come say hello tomorrow night, I'd be happy to see you as long as your not green or dressed like a Hobo!  Here's my random though....if you are a ghost and you come and see me, please bring candy (Russell Stovers assortments would be fine, no damn snickers for me) as I never really collected on Halloween.   So have a happy and safe Halloween and don't pick any little one's up unless you are costume free! Ok...here's my fun Halloween fact...did you know that a sign of a werewolf is a uni brow,long fingers and hairy palms??? Sounds like a few dates I've had and a few women I know!! In the words of the late Michael Jackson "it's a thriller diller night!"  Live long and prosper....love Casper (aka Pammy) xoxxoxo

No comments: